RECORDS! We have records.
It’s a pun. Your parents can explain it to you.
The Tartans took on Baseline League foes Rancho Cucamonga, Alta Loma, Etiwanda, Los Osos and Upland last Wednesday at Glen Helen Regional Park. For the last few years, this has been our FIRST league meet location. Since Glen Helen showed up later on our race calendar, the weather was much cooler and we are in better shape at this point. And our times showed as much (hence, the records).
- Team took first place by 19 points over Rancho Cucamonga (27-46)
- Team time was the best in GHS history (all three years of it at this course) by over four minutes
- Top Ten finishes by Emily Hoey (3), Cori Harral (4), Chloe Arriaga (5), Alyssa Perez (6), and Tori Whitworth (9)
- Team took first with 27 points (7 points better than the first league meet), beating Etiwanda (57, same as last meet) and Rancho Cucamonga (59, also same as last meet)
- Team improved its mark by nearly three minutes
- Jeff Kirwin won the race
- Top Tens (other than Jeff) for Parker Seale (3), Sam Johnny (5) and Damon Payne (7)
- Team won the race with just 24 points, besting RCHS (45) and Los Osos (87)
- Top 20 (because it’s a bigger field) finishes from Kayla McGarrell (2), Danielle York (3), Savannah Yi (5), Lauren Kuehfuss (6), Sofi Rodriguez (8), Kathryn Cisneros (9), Madison Ko (11), Emily DuPont (12), and Rebecca Ruiz (15)
- Team placed 3rd behind RCHS and Etiwanda (32, 37, 83)
- Bradford Kidd (12), Josh Jackson (15), Gregor Derstepanian (16), Matt Joy (19) score Top 20 finishes
All Time Top Ten
- Jeff Kirwin (1) continues to rewrite the GHS XC record books by taking over the top spot and is joined by Parker Seale (2), Sam Johnny (3), Damon Payne(5), Oliver Kashyap (6) and Mike Duke (8)
- Emily Hoey (1), Cori Harral (2), Chloe Arriaga (3) and Alyssa Perez (4) become the first four Glendora girls to break 19 minutes at this course; also on the ATTT are Tori Whitworth (6), Kayla McGarrell (9) and Danielle York (10)
Significant Time Improvements
Over 1:00 improvement – Chloe Arriaga, Kayla McGarrell, Sofi Rodriguez, Madison Ko, Parker Seale, Gregor Derstepanian, Richard Johnson, Josh Bowman, Carlos Torres
Over 2:00 improvement – Alyssa Perez, Emily Dupont, Watts Waddington, Elijah Kouyoumdjian
And then there are SEVERAL times that defy generalization: Michael Hernandez (4:15), Katrina Reynolds (5:21), Ryan Ferguson (6:13), Sydney Carlson (6:25), Julie Miller (6:27), Kathryn Cisneros (7:54) and Nicole Fuentes (9:16) – Un. Be. Leivable.
Athletes of the Meet
Sam Johnny – Should we call him Mr. Reliable of Mr. Hard Work? Would either of those two be enough? Sam gets lots of respect (and some mad props) for what he has accomplished this season.
Savannah Yi – If you were lucky enough to see her race, you saw a great example of testing your ability. She gives her all in every race and is getting better every time.